Saturday, September 22, 2012

Be Your Own Barista


It's a Saturday morning as I post this, and I'm drinking that cafe mocha in the picture. The best part about it? I only had to make the short walk to my kitchen to get it! Sure, it takes about 10 minutes from start to finish, but most of that is hands-off, and it's saved me the time it would have taken to pack myself and the children in the car to drive to Starbucks, not to mention the hefty price tag that comes with it.

My friend Diane was instrumental in helping me figure out how to make these at home.... so a big thank you to her! Brew your coffee in whatever way you normally would for this (traditional coffee maker, a Keurig, or French Press). Since I am the only coffee drinker in our house, I make mine in a Bodum French Press that I purchased at Target.  It takes about 4 minutes to heat the water in the microwave, and another 4 minutes to steep the coffee in the press. While I'm waiting for my coffee, I fix my breakfast. It's a great way to start the morning!

DIY Cafe Mocha
10-12 oz. fresh brewed coffee (depending on the size of your mug)
3-4 T. coffee creamer (I use Coffee Mate's Sweet Cream Natural Bliss - no artificial ingredients)
1 heaping teaspoon of Hershey's cocoa powder
1/2 t. sugar

Place the cocoa powder and sugar in the bottom of your coffee mug. Pour in the hot coffee, followed by the coffee creamer. Mix well. Top with your favorite whipped cream if you are in a fancy mood -- I happened to find toasted marshmallow whipped cream at our local grocery and it is lovely. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment