Saturday, September 15, 2012

Slow Roasted Tomatoes


In my previous post, I used these tomatoes to add a punch of flavor to my Kentucky Hot Brown sandwich.  Since that post, my husband and I actually visited the famed Brown Hotel as part of a long weekend he and I spent in Louisville, KY.   I'll be the first to admit I am a hard-to-please food snob, so eating out can sometimes be an exercise in disappointment for me, but THE original Hot Brown was a let down simply because they used "naked" tomatoes which had absolutely no flavor and watered down an otherwise delicious sandwich.  So trust me, take the time to roast these tomatoes!

I use these tomatoes on plain grilled cheese with pesto, or after storing the leftover tomatoes in the fridge, I top them with a drained pack of oil-packed tuna and eat with crackers.  I've also added a bag of frozen artichoke hearts (Kroger brand) to roast alongside the tomatoes for a simple side dish.  You could also serve them as part of an antipasto platter, with a variety of olives, fresh mozzarella, hummus, sliced Italian meats, and crusty bread.  This recipe takes even the hardest, winter season, grocery store Roma tomato and makes them edible! 

Slow Roasted Tomatoes - Ina Garten's Recipe 

6 Roma tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
4 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan, in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle the sugar, salt, and pepper over the tomatoes. Roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the tomatoes are concentrated and beginning to caramelize. Serve warm or at room temperature.


The tomatoes can be made several days in advance, stored covered in the fridge, then brought to room temperature before using.  


No comments:

Post a Comment