Saturday, December 17, 2011

Wine and Wrap Recipes

I'm getting ready to drive over to my friend Shannon's house for her "Wine and Wrap" party, where PJ's or similar casual attire are required.  I am SO excited to socialize with a great group of ladies, get some of my wrapping done, snack on some yummy food, and of course drink some wine.  I'm wearing my wine-themed Nick and Nora jammie pants, my Wittenberg University hoodie, and my purple fuzzy slippers.  It's almost like I'm in college again, except I'm bringing better food.

Here are the recipes.  I hope you have some similarly fun parties to go to as we are heading into the last two weeks before the New Year - Enjoy!

Cheddar-Beer Spread (from http://www.cookscountry.com/)
1/2 cup light pilsner beer (like Miller or Bud Light)
16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 c. minced red or yellow onion, rinsed and patted dry
2 T. ketchup
1 T. Dijon or spicy brown mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
Pinch of ground chipotle pepper

Bring beer to boil in small sauce pan over high heat, reduce heat and let simmer for 1 minute.  Let cool to room temperature.  Combine the cheese and rest of ingredients in your food processor and process until very smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes.  Drizzle in the cooled beer while the machine is running, for 1 minute more.  Transfer to bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Chill 2 hours and serve with your favorite cut-up bagels, pretzels or crackers.  It's addicting!

Peanut Butter Fudge (I received this recipe from my mom's friend Sue, who also happens to be mom to my best friend from high school)
2 sticks butter, salted
1 c. peanut butter (not the natural kind)
1 lb. box Confectioner's Sugar
Melt butter in microwave.  Stir in peanut butter.  Stir in sugar until well-blended.  Pat into and 8x8 pan, refrigerate and cut into squares.

Cinnamon M&M Oatmeal Butterscotch Bars (adapted from http://www.food.com/)
1 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
3/4 t. cinnamon
Combine all with whisk in small bowl.  Set aside.
1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
Beat butter with hand mixer on high, about 1 minute.  Add sugar and cream together.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well-blended.  Add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated.
3 c. old fashioned oats
1 c. butterscotch chips
1 c. cinnamon M&M's
Stir in the oats, chips and M&M's.  Pat into greased 9x13 glass baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees or until lightly browned on top, 22-28 minutes.  If bars seem to be getting too brown on edges, but are still gooey in the middle, lower oven temp to 325 degrees for about the last 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment