Saturday, September 15, 2012

School Lunches


At the beginning of the school year, I posted on Facebook that I'd stocked the pantry for kids' lunches, and several friends quickly responded that I should blog about school lunches.  So, here's my attempt on a topic that is exhaustive and exhausting.  Just like any mom I look for short cuts.  I always pack my son's lunch (my daughter is in half day Kindergarten so does not need a lunch yet), but even I resort to a store-bought Lunchable sometimes.  Pinterest can quickly make you feel inadequate, what with the thousands of pictures of too-cute-to-eat "bento box" lunches.  They exhaust me just looking at them.  So here's my take...

The above reference list is really all you need.  Here is the link for the original copy.  

Beyond that, I love the Ziploc brand, 3 compartment, lidded containers, because they inexpensively give a "bento box" feel. But I just as often pack with baggies in my son's lunch.

One thing I do find fun are the endless FREE printable lunch notes from the web, found on Pinterest or by doing a simple Google search.  They make me feel like a "Martha mom" (as in Stewart), when that couldn't be further from the truth!

So below, you will find a few pictures of lunches I've made, two quick recipes, and most importantly, the link to my Pinterest Lunch Box Board, which contains over 30 links to websites that will provide you with more ideas than you ever wanted for things to pack in your child's lunch and tons of lunch box notes.  Because really, there are so many other better photographed and already created lunch ideas out there, and I am just posting here to guide you to the ideas I've found and have used. Enjoy!  


"Kitchen Sink" Pasta Salad
8 oz. pasta (any shape)
8 oz. meat (I used Trader Joe's frozen turkey meatballs)
4 oz. cheese (I used string cheese, cut into small cubes)
2 c. fresh veggies (I used broccoli, carrots and kalamata olives)
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/3 c. vinegar
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt

Cook pasta, drain well and rinse with cold water.  Toss with meat, cheese and veggies.  Whisk together mayo, vinegar, sugar and salt.  Toss with pasta salad.


Turkey Roll-Ups
One tortilla
Hummus or veggie cream cheese
Deli Turkey
Finely chopped olives

Spread the tortilla evenly with a layer of hummus or cream cheese.  Top with several slices of turkey and olives.  Roll and slice.

For a link to this lunch note and countless others, click on this address for my Lunch Box Board on Pinterest...
Pinterest Lunch Box Board


No comments:

Post a Comment