Friday, January 6, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

My daughter asked me tonight if we could make "our chocolate bread"... okay, twist my arm!  Besides, tomorrow is a "Savory Saturday" so we can indulge a bit.  I did very well with my Fruity Friday... started my day with a banana blueberry smoothie, had fresh raspberries and blackberries for lunch, and a whole grapefruit for dinner.  Yum!  Incidentally the recipe for this decadent bread came from an old issue of Cooking Light magazine.  According to the "per serving" information, each slice only contains 152 calories and 5 grams of fat.  Now, it does make two 8x4 inch loaves, but a serving is assuming you slice each loaf into 16 slices (and then eat only one)!  I'm not sure I've ever gotten more than 12 slices out of a loaf, so Cooking Light or not, it's an indulgence, and well worth it.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
2 c. sugar
2 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 c. fat-free vanilla yogurt (I used Chobani Greek Yogurt)
4 large egg whites
3 c. flour
2 t. cinnamon
1 1/4 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 1/4 c. chocolate chips (I use Ghiradelli bittersweet)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.  Lightly spoon flour into measuring cups and level off with knife.  Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.  Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir just until moist.  Fold in chocolate chips.
Spoon batter into two (8x4) loaf pans coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees on center rack of oven for about 60 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire rack.  Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.

1 comment: