Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

I found the recipe for this colossal sandwich at the "Six Sisters Stuff" blog.  I've been on a kick of pinning recipes at Pinterest that would be good for both freezing, and "gift" meals, i.e. for a new mom.  It's mostly yummy comfort food.  I haven't made much comfort food from scratch lately, and I just happened to need to make a freezer meal for a friend in our church life group, so of course it was a great excuse to double the portions and make some for our dinner tonight!

I altered the recipe a bit, but not much.  Turns out almost all steak sauce has high fructose corn syrup as one of its first ingredients.  Which, since I was mixing it with grass-fed ground beef, just seemed like a poor choice.  I finally found a brand called "London Pub Steak and Chop Sauce" at my local Kroger.  It contains real food, like ginger, apple puree, vinegar, and tomato paste.  It does contain the dreaded syrup, but it's buried way down in the ingredient list.  Maybe I'll be motivated one day to make my own steak sauce, but with my schedule, that's not realistic right now.

So here's the recipe.  I dare say I prefer it to a regular sloppy joe!

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
1 1/2 lbs. ground sirloin
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 pkg. white button mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
1 T. liquid smoke
1/2 c. London Pub Steak and Chop Sauce
Ciabatta Rolls
White American Cheese

In a large saute pan, heat the oil and butter on medium high heat.  Add the onion, mushrooms and liquid smoke.  Season liberally with salt and pepper.  Saute, stirring often for about 15 minutes until much of the liquid has burned off.  Reduce heat to medium, add peppers and continue to cook for about 10 minutes more.  Meanwhile, in a dutch oven, brown the beef and drain.  Add the onion, pepper and mushroom mixture to the ground beef in the dutch oven.  Add the steak sauce, stirring well to incorporate and cook over medium until heated through.  Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve on ciabbata rolls with white american cheese.

Six Sisters Stuff - Philly Sloppy Joes


No comments:

Post a Comment