Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Durkee Burger

I'd never heard of Durkee's famous sauce until my mother-in-law asked me to make her recipe for Scalloped Crab (baked in real sea shells... I will post the recipe when I have an occasion to purchase a $30 can of lump crab meat again) for her birthday dinner last year.  The crab was to die for... better than any crab cake I'd ever eaten... but one recipe didn't use much of the sauce.  And the sauce is good... a sweet and slightly spicy mix of mustard and mayonnaise... which I've discovered is very tasty on a grilled burger.

I like making sliders, and one is usually enough for me.  Pepperidge Farm makes really good slider-size buns.  I like to mix some smoky seasonings into my ground beef... like liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce,  a smokey grill blend of spices I found at Trader Joe's, salt and pepper.  After grilling, I top them with caramelized onions, melted Havarti cheese and the Durkee sauce.  Simple and yummy!  If you've never caramelized onions before, here are the instructions...

Caramelized Onions
2 sweet onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 T. olive or grape seed oil
1 t. salt
Heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering, add onions and salt, give a good stir, then turn heat to medium low.  Cook on medium low for at least 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  It's important to cook over a lower heat so the onions have a chance to caramelize instead of burn.

That night, the burger became a complete meal with corn, a simple spinach salad topped with Champagne Orange Muscat vinegar and sliced almonds from Trader Joe's, and a glass of Merlot.  I love the advent of grilling season!

No comments:

Post a Comment