Saturday, September 15, 2012

Quick Veggie Quiche

I have never met a quiche I didn't like.  Even my husband, who reminded me "real men don't eat quiche" and doesn't really like broccoli, ate this and seemed to enjoy it.  We ate the first round for dinner, and both my son and I had a piece the next day for lunch.  Only about half his piece came home, and at dinner, he was actually heard by both my husband and me uttering "yum" while eating it.  Seriously, if this egg pie (as my son calls it) can get him to eat his veggies, you've got to try it yourself!

Quick Veggie Quiche
One Pillbury brand refrigerated pie crust
1 c. fresh broccoli florets cut into small pieces
1/2 c. finely chopped green pepper
1/2 c. finely chopped and seeded Roma tomatoes
1 c. shredded Colby Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 c. finely shredded Asiago cheese
4 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
3/4 c. sour cream (do not use low fat or fat free)
1/2 c. milk
1 t. salt
1/2 t. dill
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. pepper

Roll crust into a deep dish pie plate and crimp edges.  Place broccoli in a small sauce pan with about an inch of water in it.  Cover pan and bring to a boil.  Tilt lid so steam can escape and boil for about 2 minutes.  Drain into colander and rinse with cold water.  Let drain well.

Spread the broccoli, green peppers and tomatoes evenly over bottom of crust.  Top with both kinds of shredded cheese.  Whisk together the eggs, yolks, sour cream, milk and seasonings.  Pour evenly over vegetables and cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until puffed and starting to brown on top.  Let cool for about 10-15 minutes before cutting to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment