Monday, May 21, 2012

Healthier Nachos - Vegetarian

This is a quick version of a healthier nacho I came up with recently from ingredients I had on hand.  Nachos are endlessly customizable... if you have some great, healthy toppings, I'd love to hear them!  I topped mine with a lighter version of queso sauce with spinach, plus guacamole that I added smashed white beans to, fresh red and yellow peppers, and black olives.  I'm not sure the multigrain tortilla chips scream healthy, a baked version would have been ideal, but it made ME feel better about them! :)

Lighter Queso Sauce
1 can mild Rotel brand tomatoes, drained
1 bag frozen leaf spinach (not the block kind... you want to be able to dump the frozen spinach right into the crock pot)
8 oz. block of light cream cheese
4 oz. Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
Dump all ingredients into crock pot.  Heat on low, stirring occasionally until melted.

White Bean Guacamole
1 can (14 oz.) white beans, drained and pureed in food processor
4 ripe avocados
juice of 2 limes
liberal amount of salt
Mash all ingredients together.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
I am not a fan of cilantro, so I never add it to my guacamole, but if you love it, by all means add it!

No comments:

Post a Comment