Monday, June 11, 2012

Crockpot Beer BBQ

This is a super simple, throw the ingredients together and walk away, recipe that yielded two different dinners for my family.  And who doesn't like BBQ and cooking with beer?  I found the inspiration from the "How Sweet It Is" blog, which can be found at this link www.howsweeteats.com
She added a whole lot of seasonings to hers, like garlic powder, but I just kept it super simple.... beer, BBQ sauce and salt.  Chicken would be my first choice, but I had a boneless turkey breast hanging out in my freezer, leftover from a sale after Thanksgiving, that was in dire need of use.  And honestly, it tastes like chicken in this recipe :)  We had sandwiches for a couple of days, then I created a BBQ pizza with it, which my son said, "this is the best pizza you've ever made Mom!"  Kind of offensive considering I've gone to the trouble of making homemade crust before, but whatever...

Crockpot Beer BBQ
2-3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or turkey breast)
1 can or bottle of beer (I used Yuengling)
1 bottle BBQ sauce (I used Weber brand because it contains no corn syrup!)
1 t. salt
Cook on low 8 hours.  I actually was gone longer than that and it cooked closer to 10 hours.  The sauce was really runny, but it sets up after it's cooled a bit.  Shred the meat and serve on buns.  Or make this pizza...


Crockpot Beer BBQ Pizza
1 can crescent rolls
1 1/2 c. BBQ
1 c. cooked corn
1 c. shredded cheese (I used cheddar monterey jack)

Unroll the crescent rolls onto a cookie sheet and pinch seams together.  Top with BBQ, corn and cheese.   Bake according to crescent package directions, about 13 minutes at 375 degrees.  Finish under the broiler for a couple of minutes.  Watch closely so crust doesn't burn, but cheese gets nice and bubbly.

1 comment:

  1. I made this last night (well all day yesterday). It was great! Can't wait to get the leftovers out of the freezer and have it again. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete