Saturday, September 15, 2012

Cheesy Bread and Homemade Pizza Sauce

 
This was a super delicious and fun meal I made with my children.  They are finally at an age (seven and five) where they are helpful, interested and don't make me want to pull my hair out in the kitchen... I love them so! :)  They also seem to eat more when they've had a hand in helping make dinner.  As we sat around the table to eat this meal, I asked my son what he would do/how he would feel if I said I didn't like what he made and refused to eat it.  He of course said it would hurt his feelings.  I'm not above using guilt as a motivator, so I'd say this Cheesy Bread (while not a healthy meal exactly) was a success!

Also, the homemade pizza sauce is seriously amazing.  It pleases both adults and kids!

Cheesy Bread

1 1/2 cups warm water (about 115°F)
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
1 t. yeast
3 cups flour
1/2 cup melted butter (half for the bottom of the pan and half on top of the breadsticks)
8 oz. fresh grated mozzarella or provolone cheese
Sprinkle with garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, salt & pepper (to taste)
Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
Add sugar, milk, salt and mix (with a wooden spoon, or dough hook, if using a stand-mixer.
Add enough flour to form a moderately stiff dough. May need up to 1/2 cup more flour. Don’t forget you’ll knead in more flour later so don’t put too much in now or it will be too heavy.
Knead the dough until smooth with you hands on a well-floured surface or with the dough hook.
Roll the dough into the size and shape of your baking pan (I use a half sheet pan which is about 13×18).
Spread half of the butter onto the bottom of the pan and then place the dough into the pan. Let raise in warm, draft-free place for 15 minutes.
Spread remaining butter on the top of the dough.
Top dough with toppings or leave it plain.
Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Cut into breadsticks and serve with the homemade pizza sauce.

Joshua Trent - "Pizza Hut Bread"

Homemade Pizza Sauce
One can (6 T.) tomato paste
One can (14 oz.) crushed tomatoes
4 T. olive oil
1 1/2 t. garlic powder
1 1/2 t. onion powder
1 T. oregano
1 t. sea salt
1 T. pure maple syrup
3 T. red wine (optional)

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and whisk to combine.  Heat over low heat, covered, until simmering.  Stir well, take lid off and let simmer gently for about 5 more minutes.  Serve.

I altered this recipe to my own preference, but here is link to original...
Tasty Kitchen - Homemade Pizza Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment