Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Crock Pot Applesauce


This is truly what a part of my heart looks like for my children.  I love them for so many reasons and I show my love in many ways... food is one.  The other day, we visited our local farmer's market, and my children literally did a happy dance as we were buying local apples, knowing I was going to come home and make my crock pot applesauce for them, as I have done each year since my oldest was about 2 years old.  Believe me, other than my family, there is no one else I'd spend that kind of time preparing so many apples for such a small yield.  They inhale it!  But it's wholesome, healthy food that is creating a powerful memory and connection in them.  Maybe one day they'll look back on something as simple as this applesauce and remember it like this...
My Grandma's Snickerdoodles

Crock Pot Applesauce
24 apples (about -- enough to fill your crock pot almost to the top)
1/2 c. water
1/4 - 1/2 c. sugar (depending on natural sweetness of the types of apples you are using)
1/4 - 1/2 t. cinnamon (a little goes a long way)

Core, peel and chop your apples.  Pieces should be about the size of a small egg.  Place the apples, water, sugar and cinnamon in the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.  The apples will be soft enough to break with a spoon, and the mixture will reduce by close to half.  Let cool in crock pot insert on counter overnight.  Then transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate for about 4 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment