Friday, May 4, 2012

Popcorn Cauliflower - Vegan

I found this recipe at www.melskitchencafe.com and it is now in our recipe binder.  It works very well as a simple side dish.  My personal creation is putting some of the cauliflower in a burrito with refried beans and Sriracha sauce.  Since I've mentioned Sriracha twice now, I thought I'd show you a picture of it, in case you are unaware of its existence.   I'd heard of it, but never searched for it until recently and let me tell you, it is a revelation!  It's a slightly sweet, relatively spicy pepper sauce that is tasty on just about anything.  I've been eating it on an egg and asparagus scramble recently too!

So my burrito creation is a little mixed up nationality wise as it has Indian curry from the cauliflower, Mexican refried beans, and Asian Sriracha... but somehow it all works and I don't miss the usual cheese and sour cream!
Popcorn Cauliflower
1 large head of cauliflower, florets only, cut into bite-size pieces
1 1/2 T. olive or grapeseed oil
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. mild curry powder

Whisk the oil, salt and curry in a small bowl.  Pour over cauliflower florets, tossing with your hands to coat well.  Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.  Bake at 450 degrees for 18 minutes, stirring about every 6 minutes, until cauliflower is browned in spots and crisp tender.  

No comments:

Post a Comment